101 Cheesecake Recipes
The Best Cheesecake Recipes
Home - Cheesecake of the Month - Black Forest Cheesecake
1 pound frozen unsweetened cherries, thawed
1/4 cup kirsch
1/4 cup (about) Morello cherry syrup or sour cherry syrup
8 1/2 oz chocolate wafer cookies
6 tbls (3/4 stick) well-chilled butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
12 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whipping cream, well-chilled (I use heavy whipping cream.)
2 tblsp sugar
1 tblsp kirsch
- For topping: Soak undrained cherries and kirsch in small bowl 6 hours.
- Thoroughly drain cherries in strainer set over medium bowl, shaking
occasionally, at least two hours. Reserve liquid.
- Add enough Morello cherry syrup to cherry liquid to measure 1 cup. Pour
6 tablespoons into heavy 8-inch skillet (reserve remaining liquid for
filling). Halve cherries and add to skillet. Boil until syrup is
thickened and mixture resembles preserves, about 6 minutes. (Can be
prepared 2 days ahead. Chill.)
- For crust: Generously butter 9-inch springform pan. Finely crush
cookies in processor, using on/off turns. Cut in butter until mixture
begins to gather together, using on/off turns. Press crumbs into bottom
of pan and up sides to 3/4 inch from top; there should be no cracks.
Refrigerate crust for at least 30 minutes.
- For filling: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Heat 1 1/2 cups cream with
chocolate in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until chocolate melts,
stirring constantly. Cool 10 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese with 3/4 cup sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs 1 at a
time until just combined. Beat in chocolate mixture, then remaining 10
tablespoons cherry liquid and vanilla. Pour into crust. Bake until
outer 2 inches of cake are firm but center still moves slightly, about 1
1/4 hours (top may crack). Cool completely on rack. Top pan with paper
towels and cover tightly with foil. Refrigerate 1 to 2 days.
- Remove foil, paper towels and pan sides from cake. Spread cherry
topping over cake. Beat remaining 1 cup cream with 2 tablespoons sugar
and kirsch to peaks. Spoon into center of cake. Top with chocolate
curls if desired. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead and refrigerated.) Let
stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.